Single-serving portions make this a perfect meal solution for families. If someone’s running late, just save it for later. Or, take it for lunch the next day! On top of that, they’re keto-friendly and full of healthy chicken and zucchini. And they’re incredibly delicious, too! It just may be the ultimate 21st-century lifestyle meal.
Yield: 8 servings
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 40 to 45 minutes
Sargent Farms Bone-In Thighs can be used in place of the Sargent Farms Boneless Skinless Thigh Meat. When following the instructions for making the chicken for “Grilled Cheese ‘n’ Chicken Sandwiches”, place skin side down first in the hot pot. Flip thighs, and before adding the water to cover, remove crisped and cooked chicken skin. Roughly chop and add skin to the onion-mushroom mixture when adding the garlic. Ensure the amount of shredded chicken used in the recipe is approximately 320 grams.
Any leftover Sargent Farms chicken can be used in place of the shredded Sargent Farms Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs.
- Fresh herbs can be used in place of dried. Use about 3 times the quantity of fresh herbs than dried.
- Leeks can be used in place of or half of the onions, if desired.
- Lasagna can be frozen for meal-prepping. Wrap each ramekin well with plastic wrap and then in foil. Place into freezer. Defrost in the fridge overnight. When ready to bake, remove plastic wrap. Lightly oil the foil used and place oiled side down over the ramekins and place onto a baking sheet. Let sit at room temperature for at least 15 minutes before baking. Bake for 15 minutes with the foil. Remove foil and bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
5 to 6 pcs (320 g) Sargent Farms Skinless Boneless Chicken Thighs, cooked and shredded (Follow instructions and seasoning of the chicken from “Grilled Cheese ‘n’ Chicken Sandwiches”, replacing the Sargent Farms Chicken Breasts with Sargent Farms Skinless Boneless Chicken Thighs)
- Approximately 4 medium-size zucchini (about 7-inches), sliced lengthwise into 36 to 40 slices between ⅛- to ¼-inch thick
- 2¼ tsp (14 g) salt, divided
- 1½ cup (340 g) ricotta cheese, full-fat
- 1 cup (106 g) parmesan cheese (grated), divided
- ¼ (60 ml) plain yogurt, full-fat
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
½ tsp (1 g) ground nutmeg
¼ tsp (1 g) chili flakes
2 tbsp (26 g) coconut oil
1 cup (139 g) onion, diced
1 tbsp (14 g) butter
½ lb (227 g) mushrooms, sliced
2 tsp (2 g) dried oregano
2 tsp (2 g) dried basil
1 tsp (1 g) dried thyme
½ tsp (1 g) black pepper, preferably freshly ground
3 tsp (3 pcs) garlic cloves, minced
3 cups (339 g) mozzarella cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 375°F (191°C). Thoroughly grease the bottoms and sides of 8 ramekins (6 to 8 ounces) with butter or desired fat. Arrange on a baking sheet and set aside.
- Make and shred the Sargent Farms Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs following the instructions for the chicken in the recipe “Grilled Cheese n’ Chicken Sandwiches”. Cover until needed.
- With a mandolin, slice zucchini. Lay the slices on a baking sheet lined with paper towels. Evenly sprinkle the zucchini with 2 teaspoons (12 grams) of salt. Let the slices sit for 15 minutes. Blot zucchini dry with paper towels and place onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake the zucchini “noodles” for 10 minutes or until tender and no longer wet.
- In a bowl, combine ricotta cheese, ¾ cup (80 g) parmesan cheese, yogurt, beaten egg, ground nutmeg, and chili flakes. Mix until thoroughly blended. Set aside.
- In a large skillet or saute pan, heat the coconut oil on medium-high heat until shimmering. Add in the diced onions. Saute until slightly caramelized in colour; 5 minutes.
- Add in the butter. Once melted and bubbling, add in the sliced mushrooms. Saute until mushrooms are browned; 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium. Sprinkle mixture with the minced garlic, oregano, basil, thyme, black pepper, and remaining ¼ teaspoon (2 g) salt. Stir and saute until garlic is fragrant; 1 minute.
- Remove from heat. Add in the shredded chicken. Stir to thoroughly combine.
- Drape 3 zucchini “noodles” into each ramekin. Lay the first slice into the ramekin so that the ends are going up the sides. Lay the second slice in a cross (X) pattern, over the first. Lay the last slice over the other two. Adjust noodles so that there are little to no gaps in the bottom of the ramekin.
- Place about 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of the cheese mixture into the bottom of each ramekin and top with 2 tablespoons (30 ml) of the chicken-mushroom mix. Add another tablespoon of the cheese mixture and sprinkle about a tablespoon of shredded mozzarella cheese over it.
- Fold the “fingers” of the zucchini over the mixture. Don’t worry if the noodles don’t meet in the middle. If desired, slice a noodle to fit into the gap. Repeat process over that layer of zucchini noodles.
- Cut 12 noodles in half. Lay 3 zucchini noodle halves to cover the mixture. Divide and spread the remaining cheese mixture over the noodles amongst the 8 ramekins. Divide and sprinkle the remaining grated mozzarella over the sauce. Sprinkle 1½ teaspoons of the remaining parmesan over the mozzarella cheese in each ramekin.
- Place baking sheet into the preheated oven. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until cheese is melted and tops are well browned. Remove from oven and let sit for 15 minutes before serving.