Grilled Cheese ‘n’ Chicken Sandwich with Apple & Arugula
Our mission: create the ultimate gourmet grilled cheese. Mission accomplished! Soft and creamy brie ratchets up the decadence level and sliced apples provide a sweet crunch in every epic mouthful. Add in the tender shredded chicken and you’ve got a recipe for a sandwich that truly satisfies.
For the chicken:
- 2 pcs (500 g) Sargent Farms Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 1 tsp (6 g) salt
- 1 tsp (2 g) black pepper, preferably freshly ground
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
- 2½ cups (625 ml) water
For the sandwiches:
- 8 to 12 slices sourdough bread
- 4 to 6 tbsp (60 ml to 90 ml) mayonnaise, divided
- 2 to 3 tbsp (28 g to 43 g) butter
- 30 to 45 pcs (2 to 3 apples) thinly sliced Gala or Honeycrisp apples
- 16 to 24 slices (340 g to 510 g) Brie cheese (4 slices per sandwich), divided
- 1 to 1½ tsp (4 g to 6 g) chili flakes, divided
- 2 to 3 cups (85 g to 127 g) baby arugula, divided
- ½ to ¾ tsp (3 g to 5 g) salt, divided
Yield: 4 to 6 sandwiches
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 to 40 minutes
- Make the chicken breasts the night before for faster prep time. Alternatively, leftover roasted chicken, for example from the recipe “1 Roasted Chicken, 3 Meals”, can be used in the recipe in place of the Sargent Farms Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts.
- Use softened butter instead of mayonnaise for a more buttery-flavoured sandwich.
- Keep sandwiches warm in a preheated 250°F (121°C) oven until ready to serve.
- Pat dry the Sargent Farms Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts and evenly season both sides with the salt and pepper.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a medium pot. When oil is hot, place chicken breasts into the oil. Cook until downward side of the breast is golden brown in colour; about 5 minutes. Flip chicken breasts over.
- Cover with water, adding more as needed until chicken breasts are immersed. Cover pot. Reduce heat and simmer until the internal temperature of the chicken is 165°F (74°C). Remove chicken breasts from the water and place onto a cutting board. Cool slightly.
- With two forks, roughly shred chicken breasts. Divide evenly into 4 or 6 portions (depending on how many sandwiches are being made). Set aside.
- Match the sliced sourdough to make 4 to 6 pairs. Lay each slice of sourdough down on a work surface, outsides facing upwards. Divide and evenly spread mayonnaise on each slice.
- In a large nonstick pan, melt 1 tablespoon (14 grams) of butter over medium heat. Swirl to coat pan.
- Place 4 slices of bread from 4 different pairs, mayonnaise side down, into the hot pan. Layer 6 to 7 slices of apple onto each slice of bread, 4 slices of brie cheese, sprinkle each sandwich with ¼ teaspoon of chili flakes, add the shredded chicken, and top each with ½ cup of arugula. Sprinkle the arugula with about 1/8 teaspoon of salt. Top each sandwich with the matching sourdough slice (mayonnaise side up).
- Toast for 4 minutes, or until golden brown in colour. Carefully flip each sandwich over. Add another tablespoon of butter to the pan. Gently swirl to coat pan. Toast grilled cheese sandwiches for another 4 minutes or so, or until cheese is melted and sourdough is golden.
- Remove sandwiches from pan and place onto a baking sheet lined with parchment and place into preheated oven to keep warm, if desired.
- Add ½ of the remaining tablespoon (7 grams) of butter to the hot pan. Swirl to coat. Repeat process with the remaining two sandwiches. Keep sandwiches warm in the oven if making additional batches.
- If desired, slice sandwiches in half. Serve warm.