Asparagus Chicken Quiche
Enjoy a local treat with Ontario chicken, eggs, and asparagus all in one meal! This summer-fresh recipe is a show-stopper on the table and a palate pleaser on the fork. It’s great as a meal or a side, plus it transports nicely for a nutritious lunch at the office.
Yield: 2 9-inch quiches
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 42 to 45 minutes + baking time for frozen pie shells
- Asparagus can be swapped out for any seasonal greens or vegetables if desired.
- Lemon juice can be substituted for the apple cider vinegar.
- For a richer custard, use half-and-half in place of the milk.
Quiche is done when a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Serve with a side salad for a meal, or slice into thin wedges for an appetizer.
- 2 9-inch premade deep dish frozen pie crusts
For the asaparagus:
- 1 lb (454 g) asparagus, washed, ends trimmed
- 6 cups (1500 ml) water
- 2 tbsp (36 g) salt
For the filling:
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
- 1½ cups (209 g) diced onions (white, yellow, or red)
- 4 tsp (4 pcs) cloves garlic, minced
¾ tsp (4 g) salt, divided
- 2¼ cups (281 g) shredded chicken from either: 1 recipe Sargent Farms 1 Roasted Chicken, 3 Meals or 1 recipe Sargent Farms (the chicken portion) Grilled Cheese ‘n’ Chicken Sandwich with Apple and Arugula
- ⅔ cup (93 g) sun-dried tomatoes (packed in oil), roughly chopped
For the custard:
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp (10 ml) apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp (1 g) dried parsley
- ½ tsp (2 g) onion powder
- ½ tsp (1 g) dried oregano
- ½ tsp (1 g) dried dill
- ¼ tsp (1 g) black pepper, preferably freshly ground
- ¼ tsp (1 g) chili flakes
- ¼ tsp (1 g) cayenne pepper
- ⅔ cup (167 ml) half-and-half
- 2 tbsp (16 g) all-purpose flour
- 8 eggs, lightly beaten
- ⅓ cup (g) fresh basil leaves, finely chopped (chiffonade)
- ⅔ cup (180 g) ricotta cheese
- Preheat oven to the temperature indicated on the pie shell package instructions. Place a baking sheet into the preheating oven.
- Place a sheet of parchment paper into each pie shell and fill with pie weights (or dried beans or rice). Place pie shells onto the baking sheet into the preheated oven and bake according to package instructions. Remove from oven, and place baked pie shells onto a wire cooling rack to cool.
- Adjust oven temperature to 375°F (191°C).
For the asparagus:
- In a large skillet or shallow stockpot, bring 6 cups of water and salt to a boil. Have ready a large bowl of ice water.
- Carefully add the trimmed asparagus into the boiling water; cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove asparagus using a pair of tongs or slotted spoon and immediately transfer to the ice bath; about 2 minutes. Remove chilled asparagus onto a paper towel-lined baking sheet. Blot dry.
- Line tops of asparagus, measure 6 inches from the top. Slice off ends. Set aside spears. Slice ends into ¼-inch rounds.
For the filling:
In a large skillet over medium heat, add olive oil and heat until shimmering. Add in the onions and saute until golden in colour; 8 to 10 minutes. Sprinkle in garlic and ¼ tsp (1 gram) of the salt and saute until garlic is fragrant; 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly; 10 minutes. Divide the cooled onion mixture in half and sprinkle the bottoms of the baked shells with the mixture.
- In a bowl, toss together the 2¼ cups (281 grams) Sargent Farms shredded chicken with the roughly chopped sun-dried tomatoes and sliced asparagus ends until thoroughly mixed. Divide mixture in half, and sprinkle the chicken mixture over the onions.
For the custard:
- In a large measuring cup or bowl, whisk together the Dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar, dried parsley, remaining salt (½ teaspoon / 2 grams), onion powder, oregano, dill, black pepper, chili flakes, and cayenne pepper until well blended.
- Whisk in about 3 tablespoons (45 ml) of half-and-half to loosen up the spice mixture. Sprinkle and whisk in the flour until a homogenous paste forms. Slowly whisk in the remaining half-and-half until no flour lumps remain.
- Whisk in the lightly beaten eggs and finely chopped basil. Place pie shells onto a baking sheet and carefully pour half of the mixture into each pie shell, covering the filling.
- Divide and arrange asparagus spears between the two pie shells. Sprinkle ⅓ cup (90 grams) of ricotta over each pie.
- Place the baking sheet into preheated oven. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until quiches are golden in colour and filling is set. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly (approximately 15 minutes) before serving.