Don’t waste a minute of the glorious summer weather – fire up the barbecue for some outdoor cooking and dining, and these incredible kebabs! With alternating chunks of tender chicken, pineapple, red pepper, and red onion, each skewer is practically a meal on it’s own. On top of it all is a Hawaiian-inspired sauce with a taste that will remind you of summer – it’s sweet, it’s got heat, and you can never get enough!
Yield: 16 skewers
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
- For a less spicy barbeque sauce remove seeds from jalapeño before chopping.
For the Sweet and Spicy Sauce:
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (6 g) grated ginger
- 1 jalapeño, chopped
- 1 tsp (3 g) chili flakes (optional)
- 1 tsp (3 g) ground cinnamon
- 1 cup (250 ml) ketchup
- ½ cup (125 ml) pineapple juice
- ¼ cup (56 g) brown sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) soy sauce
For the Skewers:
- 2 lbs (900g) Sargent Farms Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs, chopped into 48 (1 inch/2.5cm) pieces
- 1 cored pineapple, chopped into 32 (1 inch/2.5 cm) chunks
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped into 32 (1 inch/2.5 cm) chunks
- 1 red onion, chopped into 32 (1 inch/2.5 cm) chunks
- 16 wooden skewers, soaked in water for 1 hour
- Heat olive oil in a medium pot set over medium-high heat. Stir in garlic, ginger, and jalapeño. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until just softened. Stir in chili flakes (if desired) and cinnamon; cook for an additional minute.
- Whisk in ketchup, pineapple juice, brown sugar, and soy sauce and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 3-5 minutes or until sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and let cool completely. Divide sauce in half.
For the Skewers:
- Preheat grill to high.
- To assemble skewers, start with 1 piece of chicken, followed by a pineapple chunk, a red pepper and then a red onion. Repeat once and then end with 1 piece of chicken. Repeat with remaining skewers.
- Decrease grill heat to medium-high and grease well. Place skewers on grill. Using half of the barbeque sauce, brush skewers with sauce. Cook, brushing with barbeque sauce occasionally, until chicken is cooked through; about 7-8 minutes per side.
- Transfer to a serving platter and serve with remaining reserved barbeque sauce.