Shake up your dinner with this spicy specialty! Paprika and jalapeño are bringing the heat, and the deep, rich flavour is rounded out with cumin, coriander, turmeric and more. Loaded with hearty ground chicken and topped with a tasty egg cooked right in the sauce, it’s comfort food with a kick.
Yield: 6 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 55 to 58 minutes
- Break eggs one at a time into a small bowl or measuring cup before transferring each one into the well made in the sauce. This prevents potential shells from getting into the sauce and makes them easier to place.
- If a less spicy sauce is desired, omit the cayenne.
- For individual servings, make shakshuka as directed up to just before the eggs are added. Immediately spoon the simmering sauce into warmed up mini cast iron skillets (place mini skillets into a preheated 250°F (121°C) oven while the sauce is thickening on the stove). Make an indent and place an egg each individual skillet. Cover with a lid or foil and proceed with recipe.
- Adjust the amount of broth according to your liking. If a thicker sauce is desired, reduce the total amount to ½ cup (125 ml); if a soupier sauce is desired, add in an additional ¼ cup (60 ml) of broth.
- Though you may see shakshuka served in cast iron skillets, it is not recommended to cook acidic foods (eg. tomatoes) for long periods of time with cast iron. Enamel-coated cast iron skillets or Dutch ovens can be used.
- If possible purchase canned tomatoes that are low in sodium or low sodium vegetable or chicken broth.
- Sargent Farms Restorative Chicken Broth can be used in place of the vegetable broth.
- 1 lb (454 g) Sargent Farms Ground Chicken
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil, divided
- 1 cup (139 g) white or yellow onion, diced
- ⅔ cup (89 g) red bell pepper, diced
- 2 tbsp (18 g) jalapeño, finely diced, seeds and inner ribs removed
- 4 tsp (4 cloves) garlic, minced
- 2 tsp (4 g) smoked paprika
- 1½ tsp (6 g) ground cumin
- 1 tsp (1 g) ground coriander
- 1 tsp (3 g) ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp (3 g) ground turmeric
- ½ tsp (1 g) black pepper
- ½ tsp (1 g) ground ginger
- ½ tsp (1 g) cayenne
- 1 tsp (6 g) salt
- 1 28 oz (796 ml) can crushed or diced tomatoes
- ¾ cup (188 ml) vegetable stock or broth
- 1 tbsp (14 g) brown sugar, packed
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp (10 ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 6 eggs, large
- Fresh cilantro
- Flaky sea salt or salt
- Place a large skillet or wide Dutch oven or braiser over medium heat. Add one tablespoon (15 ml) of the olive oil into the hot pan. When the oil is shimmering, add in the diced onion. Coat and saute onions in the oil for 10 to 15 minutes until deep golden in colour.
- Add in the red bell pepper and diced jalapeno. Saute for 2 to 3 minutes, until the peppers are soft. Add in the remaining tablespoon (15 ml) of oil into the pan along with the minced garlic, smoked paprika, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, turmeric, black pepper, ginger, and cayenne. Stir until spices are fragrant and onion mixture is evenly coated; 2 minutes. Do not burn the garlic.
- Add in the Sargent Farms Ground Chicken. Sprinkle the salt over the ground chicken. With the heatproof spatula or wooden spoon, break apart any large lumps of chicken as it browns. Saute until chicken is no longer pink and is browned; 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add in the can of diced or crushed tomatoes, including the juices. Sprinkle in the brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, and Worcestershire sauce. Stir to fully incorporate the tomatoes and flavourings into the chicken. Reduce heat to medium-low and partially cover with lid. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent burning until sauce is slightly thickened.
- With the back of a large spoon or ladle, make 6 indents or wells into the sauce spaced evenly apart. Crack each egg and carefully drop egg into each of the indents. Turn off heat. Cover skillet or Dutch oven with a lid. Let the residual heat cook egg whites until they are set and yolks are still runny; 5 to 8 minutes.
- Uncover and sprinkle the shakshuka with fresh cilantro and the eggs with flaky sea salt, if desired. Serve immediately.