An easy meal can be a delicious meal, too! Once you’ve prepped your chicken and vegetables, just place them in a slow cooker, and get ready to enjoy home cooking on your schedule. It’s the perfect recipe for Ramadan, or any busy day when you know there’s no time to cook a wholesome meal. When it’s time to eat, just lift the lid and wait for the smiles!
Yield: 4-6 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 4-6 hours
- To make the fajitas less spicy remove seeds from jalapeños before slicing.
For the Slow Cooker Fajitas:
- 3 bell peppers, seeded and sliced into ½ inch strips
- 1 large red onion, sliced into ½ inch strips
- 2 jalapeños, sliced
- 2 lb (900 g) Sargent Farms Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts, sliced into ½ inch strips
- 1 tbsp fajita seasoning, recipe to follow
- 1 tsp (6 g) salt
- ¼ cup (60 ml) vegetable broth
Fajita Seasoning Mix:
- 1 tbsp (10 g) chili powder
- 1 tsp (4 g) smoked paprika
- 1 tsp (4 g) cumin powder
- 1 tsp (1 g) oregano
- ½ tsp (1 g) cayenne powder
- ½ tsp (3 g) salt
- 10 (6 inch) whole wheat tortillas
- 1 cup (113 g) shredded Tex-Mex cheese
- 1 cup (145 g) chopped tomatoes
- 2 avocados, sliced
- ½ cup (125 ml) sour cream
For the fajita seasoning:
- Whisk together all of the spices in a small bowl. Store any leftovers in an airtight container.
For the Fajitas:
- Place the sliced pepper, onions and jalapeños in the bottom of a slow cooker. Top with sliced chicken. Sprinkle chicken with fajita seasoning and salt. Pour in vegetable broth and cover slow cooker. Cook on low for 5-6 hours, or high for 3-4 hours.
- Transfer fajita filling to a large serving dish, draining any cooking liquid. Serve with wraps, shredded cheese, tomatoes, avocados and sour cream.