Your family will think you spent all day on this meal, when it actually took less time than watching a movie – which you could do since most of that time is for marinating and cooking. Conveniently roasted on a single baking sheet, it’s a complete dish of brilliantly seasoned chicken and vegetables. Cook some rice or toss a salad and dinner is complete!
Yield: 4 to 8 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes + 30 minutes (marinating time)
Cook Time: 35 to 40 minutes
- Instead of lightly greasing a large sheet pan, use parchment paper for easier clean-up.
- Zest oranges before juicing.
- The Sargent Farms Bone-In Chicken Thighs can be replaced with Sargent Farms Chicken Breasts or Drumsticks if desired.
- A large resealable bag can be used instead of a large bowl or dish for the marinade.
Chicken Thighs can be marinated for up to 6 hours.
- ¼ cup (60 ml) olive oil
¼ cup (60 ml) orange juice, preferably freshly squeezed
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) honey
- 4 tsp (4 pcs) garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 tbsp (6 g) orange zest
- 1 tbsp (2 g) fresh thyme leaves, roughly chopped
- 1½ tsp (9 g) salt
- 1 tsp (1 g) dried dill
- ½ tsp (2 g) chili flakes
- ½ tsp (1 g) smoked paprika
- ½ tsp (1 g) cayenne pepper
¼ tsp (1 g) black pepper, preferably freshly ground
8 pcs (1200 g) Sargent Farms Chicken Bone-In Thighs
3 medium fennel bulbs, trimmed (bottom and any stalks), cut into sixths, keeping the core intact
2 large carrots, peeled and sliced diagonally
1 large orange, washed and cut into ¼ inch wheels, and then into half-moons
1 medium red onion, trimmed and peeled; slice lengthwise in half from root to tip, and then into wedges
½ cup (80 g) green olives, pitted and halved
Fennel fronds or fresh thyme sprigs
- In a large bowl or shallow dish, whisk together the olive oil, orange juice, apple cider vinegar, honey, minced garlic, orange zest, fresh thyme, salt, dried dill, chili flakes, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, and black pepper until thoroughly blended.
- Pat dry the Sargent Farms Bone-In Chicken Thighs with paper towels. Add chicken thighs, sliced fennel, sliced carrots, oranges, onion wedges, and olives into the marinade. Mix to evenly coat. Cover with plastic wrap and place into the fridge to marinate; 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C). Lightly grease a large baking sheet with oil or cooking spray. Set aside.
- Remove chicken from the fridge to allow it to come to room temperature as the oven preheats. Transfer and evenly spread the fennel, carrots, sliced onion, and orange slices onto the prepared baking sheet. Arrange the chicken thighs, skin-side up onto the vegetables.
- Place baking sheet into the preheated oven and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until the internal temperature is between 165°F to 185°F (74°C to 85°C) nearest the bone.
- When ready to serve, garnish dish or individual servings with fennel fronds. Serve immediately.