Serve this flavourful and comforting soup with crusty bread for a complete and satisfying meal that is perfect for cold winter nights or when you're feeling under the weather. Made with tender Sargent Farms boneless chicken thigh meat, a variety of vegetables, and a rich broth, it is both filling and nutritious and packed with anti-inflammatory ingredients like ginger, turmeric, and garlic. It can also be frozen for later, making it a great option for meal prep. Whether you're looking for a warm and cozy dinner or a bowl of comfort, this hearty chicken soup recipe is sure to hit the spot.
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes plus time to marinate
Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Sweat the vegetables (onion, garlic, carrot, celery) in oil before adding the broth. It will help to release the flavors and make the soup more flavorful.
- Use homemade chicken broth or a high-quality store-bought broth for the best flavor.
- Add a variety of vegetables (such as potatoes, leeks, corn, or green beans) for a more complex flavour and textures.
- Fresh or dried herbs like thyme, bay leaf, rosemary, or parsley add additional flavour.
- Add acidity to the soup with a splash of lemon juice.
- Experiment with different seasonings like cumin, turmeric, or cayenne pepper to give it a unique twist.
- Add some richness to the soup with a dollop of sour cream or a splash of cream before serving.
- Finally, let the soup sit for a bit before serving; this will allow the flavors to meld together and make the soup even more delicious.
For the Chicken:
- 2 to 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger (or ½ tsp ginger powder)
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh turmeric (or ½ tsp turmeric powder)
- 6 cups chicken broth (more as needed)
- 1½ lb (680 g) Sargent Farms Boneless Chicken Thigh Meat
- 1 stalk fresh rosemary (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1¼ cups pearl (or Israeli) couscous
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat; add the onion and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until softened. Add the celery and carrots and cook for 5 minutes or until the vegetables soften. Add the minced garlic and cook for another minute.
- Pour in the chicken broth, add the potatoes, and bring to a boil. Add the chicken thighs, rosemary, and bay leaf. Reduce heat to low, cover the pot, and cook for about 15 to 20 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked. Remove the cooked chicken thighs and shred them into bite-sized pieces using two forks; set aside.
- Add the pearl couscous to the pot; let it cook for about 10 minutes or until tender. Remove and discard the bay leaf. Add the shredded chicken to the soup, season with salt and pepper to taste, and bring to a simmer.
- Serve the soup hot, garnished with fresh herbs, and a dollop of cream, if desired.