Cocoa fried chicken on spicy chocolate waffles
It’s ok to have fun with your food! For a totally different taste from the usual, this chocolatey recipe will have everyone coming back for more – and taking pictures! Sweet and rich, but with heat, too, it’s the perfect recipe to get the kids running to the table but keep the grown-up taste buds satisfied, as well.
Yield: 6 servings
Prep Time: 30 minutes + 6 hours marinating time
Cook Time: 6 minutes to 8 minutes per chicken and 5 minutes per waffle
- The longer you keep the marinated chicken in the fridge, the stronger the flavour will be.
- Ensure that marinated chicken comes to room temperature before dredging it in the flour mixture. This prevents the temperature of the oil from dropping drastically.
- Waffles can be kept warm and crisp in the oven preheated to 250°F (121°C).
- Red cocoa powder can be found in your local bulk food or specialty food stores.
- Dutch process cocoa powder can be used in place of the red cocoa powder, though the resulting colour won’t be as vibrant or noticeably “chocolatey” looking.
For the chicken:
- 36 ounces (1 kg) Sargent Farms Boneless Chicken Leg Meat, quartered
- ⅓ cup + 2 tsp (37 g) red cocoa powder, divided
- 1 tsp (6 g) garlic powder
- 1 tsp (4 g) ancho chili powder
- 1 tsp (2 g) black pepper
- 1 tsp (2 g) cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp (12 g) salt, divided
- 1½ cups (375 ml) buttermilk
- 1½ cups (188 g) all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup (45 g) cornstarch
- 2 tsp (4 g) smoked paprika
- 1½ tsp (3 g) cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp (3 g) onion powder
- Vegetable oil
For the waffles:
- 2 cups (250 g) all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (100 g) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (85 g) semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips (optional)
- ¼ cup (34 g) cornstarch
- 2½ tsp (5 g) chili flakes
- 2 tsp (10 g) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 g) baking soda
- 1 tsp (6 g) salt
- ½ cup (113 g) butter, melted
- 2 cups (500 ml) buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp (10 ml) vanilla extract
For the chicken:
- In a 9 x 13 inch dish, add the quartered Sargent Farms Boneless Chicken Leg Meat. In a small bowl, whisk together 2 teaspoons (4 grams) cocoa powder, the garlic powder, ancho chili powder, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and ½ teaspoon (3 g) salt, until well blended. Sprinkle the mixture onto the chicken and toss until chicken is evenly coated. Add buttermilk and continue to mix the chicken. Cover with plastic wrap and place chicken in fridge; marinate for 4-6 hours.
- In a separate bowl or dish, whisk together the all-purpose flour, cornstarch, the remaining ⅓ cup cocoa powder (33 grams), smoked paprika, the remaining 1½ teaspoons (9 grams) of salt, cayenne pepper, and onion powder. Whisk until no lumps remain.
- In a cast iron skillet or dutch oven on medium heat, add about an inch of vegetable oil and allow the oil to heat up to 350°F (177°C).
- While oil is slowly heating up, remove marinated chicken from fridge, and coat each chicken piece individually in the flour mixture. Shake off any excess flour. Place coated chicken onto a baking sheet or platter until needed.
- Once the oil is to temperature, place two or three pieces of chicken into the skillet. Leave the chicken for 3-4 minutes or until deep golden in colour. Flip chicken and fry the other side; 3-4 minutes. Make sure that all sides of the chicken have reached a deep brown colour and the internal temperature is 165°F (74°C).
- Remove from oil and lay on a wire cooling rack over a baking sheet.
For the waffles:
- In a large bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, cornstarch, sugar, chocolate chips, chili flakes, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until thoroughly combined. Set aside.
- In a medium microwaveable bowl, heat butter in the microwave at 20-second intervals until melted; cool slightly. Whisk in the buttermilk, egg, and vanilla extract.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and combine until uniform; a few small lumps may remain.
- Spray or lightly grease a waffle iron with a non-stick cooking spray or vegetable oil before preheating on medium heat (and/or follow the manufacturer’s instructions). Cook according to manufacturer’s instructions. Use about ¾ cup of batter in a 6-inch (round) waffle iron. Waffles are ready after about 5 minutes or when the waffle iron stops steaming.
- To serve, place one or two pieces of the cocoa fried chicken onto a warm waffle, drizzle with maple syrup.