Classic Chicken Cacciatore
Hearty, nourishing, and made with love – that’s the best way to describe this classic Italian recipe. A medley of delicious seasonings will romance your tastebuds and make you think you’re sharing an intimate meal at a Tuscan cafe. And if your special night includes family, it’s easy to double up the recipe! No matter who’s at your table, you can share some love tonight.
Yield: 2 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
- This recipe can easily be doubled to serve 4.
- You can use 1 ½ cups (325 mL) of canned diced tomatoes in place of fresh tomatoes.
- Serve over pasta or rice for a different meal experience.
- 1 lb (454 g) Sargent Farms Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast, chopped
- 1 tsp (6 g) salt, divided
- ¾ tsp (4 g) pepper, divided
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil, divided
- ½ lb (227 g) crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- ½ red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ tsp (2 g) chili flakes
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) cider vinegar
- 1 ½ cups (325 ml) chopped and seeded tomatoes
- ¼ cup (125 ml) vegetable broth
- ¼ cup (8 g) chopped flat leaf parsley
- Season Sargent Farms chicken with half the salt and pepper.
- Heat half of the oil in a high-sided frying pan, or a medium pot, over high heat. Add chicken and cook for 3-4 minutes or until browned all over; transfer to plate.
- Add remaining oil to frying pan along with mushrooms and cook for 5-7 minutes. Add pepper and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 7-10 minutes. Stir in garlic and chili peppers, cook for 1 minute.
- Pour in vinegar and cook, stirring up any brown bits that have stuck to the bottom of the pan.
- Add tomatoes and broth and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium, cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Return chicken to pan and continue to simmer for 20 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and mixture has thickened.
- Divide between plates and garnish with remaining parsley.