Citrus Apricot Glazed Chicken Drumsticks with Basmati Rice
Drumsticks are the original chicken finger-food, and your family won’t be able to keep their fingers off these saucy beauties! The glaze is light and sweet, and grilling the chicken until it’s just a bit charred adds incredible depth to the taste. Serve it with flavourful and aromatic Basmati rice for a fast and delicious meal.
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
- If you don’t have a grill you can easily bake this recipe on the oven. Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Place drumsticks tossed in sauce on a foil-lined baking sheet. Place in preheated oven and cook for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, baste with reserved sauce, flip and return to oven. Continue to cook for an additional 15 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Try switching up the apricot jam for blackberry or blueberry jam.
For the drumsticks:
- ½ cup (140 g) apricot jam
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) soya sauce
- 1 tsp (1 clove) garlic paste
- 2 tsp (15 g) grated ginger
- 1 tsp (3 g) orange zest
- 1 tsp (1 g) lime zest
- 8 Sargent Farms drumsticks
- ¾ tsp (8 g) salt
- ½ tsp (6 g) pepper
For the basmati rice:
- 1 ¾ (415 ml) cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup (200 g) basmati rice, rinsed
- 7 g (5 strips) of orange peel
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) orange juice (about ½ an orange)
- ¾ tsp (8 g) salt
For the chicken:
- Preheat to grill to medium heat.
- Place jam in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on medium heat for 45 seconds or until melted. Stir in orange juice, lime juice, soya sauce, garlic, ginger, orange zest, and lime juice. Set aside a third of sauce for later use.
- Pat chicken dry and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place in a large bowl and pour in larger amount of sauce; toss to coat. Let marinate in fridge for 30 minutes or overnight.
- Grease grill liberally, place chicken on grill and cook for 8-10 minutes. Brush with remaining sauce, flip and continue to grill for an additional 8-10 minutes, flipping occasionally, until well charred and chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F (75°C).
- Serve with cooked rice.
For the rice:
- Stir together broth, rice, orange peel, orange juice, cinnamon stick, and salt in a medium sauce pot. Place over medium-high heat and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Cover with a tight fitting lid, reduce heat to low and cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork, discard orange peel and cinnamon stick, serve with chicken.