Chunky Chicken Salad Sandwiches
Whether you’re coming in for a break, or you’re taking lunch on the road, there’s nothing quite like a delicious sandwich. Your eyes will see the incredible flavours waiting inside before it even hits your mouth, and then every bite will unleash a mix of tastes: cool, tangy, and spicy. Plus, you can customize portions to suit different appetites with ease. It’s the perfect family lunch solution!
YIELD: 4 servings
PREP TIME: 15 minutes
COOK TIME: 15 to 20 minutes
- Use pita pockets, bagels, or croissants in place of the whole wheat bread, if desired.
- Replace grapes with apples or dried fruit such as raisins or dried cranberries.
- Replace pecans with toasted walnuts, cashews, almonds, or nut of choice.
- If mini cucumbers are unavailable, an English cucumber can be used instead.
- For a spicier filling, keep the seeds in the jalapeño.
For the chicken:
- 1 tsp (6 g) salt
- 1 tsp (3 g) onion powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 g) chili flakes
- 2 pcs (500 g) Sargent Farms Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
- 2½ cups (625 ml) water
For the sandwiches:
- 1 cup (250 ml) mayonnaise or Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) lemon juice
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) honey
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp (12 g) jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp (2 g) paprika
- 1 tsp (1 g) dried dill
- ½ tsp (3 g) salt
- ½ tsp (1 g) black pepper, preferably freshly ground
- ¼ tsp (1 g) ground cumin
- 1 cup (180 g) seedless green or red grapes, halved lengthwise
- ⅔ cup (102 g) mini cucumber, diced
- ½ cup (53 g) pecans, lightly toasted, roughly chopped
- ⅓ cup (46 g) red onion, finely diced
- 8 slices multigrain or whole wheat bread, lightly toasted if desired
Lettuce (Romaine, Boston, or Bibb lettuce) or greens (spinach, arugula, or mixed greens)
- In a small bowl, mix the salt, onion powder, and chili flakes together. Pat dry the Sargent Farms Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts and evenly season both sides with the salt mixture.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a medium-size pot. When oil is hot, place chicken breasts into the oil. Cook until downward-facing side of the breast is golden brown in colour; about 5 minutes. Flip chicken breasts over.
Cover with water, adding more as needed until chicken breasts are immersed. Cover pot. Reduce heat and simmer until the internal temperature of the chicken is 165°F (74°C).
Remove chicken breasts from the water and place onto a cutting board. Allow to cool until easy to handle. Slice chicken breasts into small cubes. Place cubed chicken into a large bowl.
- In a bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise (or Greek yogurt, if using), lemon juice, honey, Dijon mustard, minced jalapeño, minced garlic, paprika, dried dill, salt, ground black pepper, and cumin until thoroughly combined.
Add the grapes, cucumbers, pecans, and red onions to the cubed chicken; toss to evenly distribute ingredients.
- Drizzle the dressing over the chicken. Gently mix together until ingredients are coated.
- If using, place lettuce, or greens of choice onto 4 slices of multigrain or whole wheat bread. Divide the chicken salad onto the 4 slices of bread. Top sandwiches with the remaining slices of bread.