Nutritious, hearty, and packed with flavor, this easy spin of the classic Greek moussaka is gluten-free and an instant crowd-pleaser. Ground chicken, eggplant, peppers, and potatoes are sauteed in olive oil with onion and garlic and then cooked in tomato sauce, infused with fresh herbs, and will fill the kitchen with Mediterranean aromas. Instead of the usual bechamel, the casserole is topped with whisked Greek yogurt, eggs, and ricotta and then baked until golden. Serve the moussaka with a side of green salad and cherry tomatoes topped with crumbled feta, and it will become a family favorite for a comforting mid-week meal.
Yield: 4-6 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Try chargrilling the eggplant slices before cutting them into pieces and adding them to the filling. Add a pinch of ground cumin, cinnamon, and allspice to the sauce for even more flavour. You may substitute the fresh oregano with one teaspoon dried.
For the Filling:
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb (454 g) Sargent Farms Ground Chicken
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced (to taste)
- 3 bell peppers, seeded and diced (about 2 cups)
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into ¾-inch cubes (about 3 cups)
- 2 large potatoes, cut into ¾-inch cubes (about 3 cups)
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 2 cups marinara sauce or 1 (15oz/425g) jar of tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup (10g) flat-leaf parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp picked fresh oregano or thyme leaves
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
For the Topping:
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup ricotta or cottage cheese
- a pinch of each paprika, baking soda, salt, and pepper
- 1/4 cup grated kefalotyri, Pecorino, or Parmesan cheese
For the Moussaka:
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add Sargent Farms Ground Chicken and a pinch of salt and cook, stirring often, until no traces of pink remain, about 5 to 6 minutes; transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the saucepan and heat over medium-high; add onions, garlic, eggplant and peppers, and sauté until the eggplant is soft and translucent, about 7 to 8 minutes. Add the potatoes and enough water to cover the mixture. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oven to 400°F/200°C. Brush an oven-proof casserole dish with olive oil.
- Stir in paprika and marinara sauce, bring to a boil, and cook for 2 minutes and then add the cooked ground chicken to the saucepan; cook until heated. Stir through the parsley, bay leaf, and oregano, and season to taste. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish.
- Whisk the egg, yogurt, and ricotta until smooth, then add paprika, baking soda, salt, and pepper. Spoon the topping over the moussaka and sprinkle with the grated cheese.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until the topping is puffed and golden.