Looking for a quick and easy yet delicious meal? Try Chicken Milanese! For this simple yet delectable Italian classic, Sargent Farms chicken breasts are cut in half horizontally, then pounded, breaded, and pan-fried until crispy golden on the outside yet tender and juicy on the inside. Serve with a simple Caprese salad or your favorite pasta dish for a complete meal. Whether you are looking for a weeknight dinner or a dish to impress your guests, Chicken Milanese is sure to be a hit.
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 18 minutes
- The secret to the perfect Chicken Milanese is using quality ingredients and pounding the chicken cutlets to an even thickness before breading and frying. Use a meat mallet or the flat side of a heavy pan to pound the chicken breasts to about 1/4-inch thickness.
- To save time, bread the cutlets up to 4 hours in advance and store them on a wire rack in the refrigerator.
- You may cook the cutlets in an air fryer or bake them in a large baking pan with a rack at 425°F/220°C for 10 to 15 mins.
- Store the cooked chicken in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 2 months. Before serving, heat in the oven to crisp up.
For the chicken:
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 eggs, beaten
2/3 cup breadcrumbs
1/3 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon of dried oregano
Salt and pepper, to taste
1/3 cup avocado oil or vegetable oil, for frying
Lemon wedges, for serving
For the Salad: (optional)
2 cups cherry tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
1 cup fresh mozzarella cheese, cubed
1/4 cup of fresh basil, chopped
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 clove of garlic, minced
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 200°F/93°C. Place a wire rack on a baking sheet and put it in the oven.
- Place the chicken breasts between two sheets of plastic wrap and pound them with a meat mallet or rolling pin until they are about 1/4-inch thick. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Set up your breading station by placing the flour, beaten eggs, and breadcrumbs in separate shallow bowls. Mix the Parmesan cheese and oregano in the breadcrumbs.
- Dredge the chicken in the flour, shake off any excess, and dip it into the beaten eggs. Coat it with the breadcrumb mixture, pressing the breadcrumbs firmly onto the chicken.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat; fry in batches for 3 to 4 minutes on each side until golden brown and cooked thoroughly. Transfer the cooked chicken to a baking sheet to keep it warm. Repeat the process with the remaining chicken.
- For the salad, combine tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, and basil in a salad bowl. Whisk balsamic vinegar with garlic and oil and season to taste; drizzle over the salad.
- Serve with lemon wedges and the Caprese salad on the side.