Chicken Cottage Pie with Roasted Pumpkin
The best way to enjoy the comforts of home is gathered around the table with family, enjoying a delicious meal. Cottage pie has been warming families since the 18th century, and now it can do the same for yours. Enjoy this seasonal twist on the classic with the special taste (and colour!) of pumpkin for an autumn delight.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
*Replace half or all of the peas with frozen corn, if desired.
*Kabocha, acorn, or butternut squash can be used in place of the pie pumpkin.
*Pie pumpkins (or sugar pumpkins) are smaller than pumpkins for carving and are usually found nearby in grocery stores.
For the Pumpkin and Potato Mash:
- 6 cups (2 lb / 908 g) cubed potatoes, washed and peeled
- 5 cups (700 g) cubed pie pumpkin, washed, deseeded, and peeled
- 3½ tsp (15 g) salt, divided
For the filling:
- 2 tbsp (28 g) butter
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) olive oil, divided
- 2 cups (260 g) celery, diced
- 2 cups (258 g) carrots, chopped
- 2 cups (250 g) onion, diced
- 2 lb (908 g) Sargent Farms Ground Chicken
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp (2 g) black pepper
- 3 tbsp (23 g) all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups (375 ml) chicken broth
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) heavy cream
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp (10 ml) apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) soy sauce
- 1 tsp (2 g) onion powder
- 1 tsp (2 g) dried oregano
- ½ tsp (1 g) ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C).
- In a large pot, place cubed potatoes and pumpkin. Add cold water until potato and pumpkin cubes are covered with an inch or so of water. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of salt. Place onto high heat and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer until fork tender; 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat and drain potato and pumpkin. Place back into the hot pot to dry slightly. Add in the butter and a teaspoon of salt and mash with a potato masher until smooth. Mix with a spatula or wooden spoon until well combined.
- In a dutch oven or large pot, heat 2 tablespoons (30 ml) of olive oil over medium heat. Add celery, carrots, and onions. Sautee until tender; about 5 minutes.
- Add in the Sargent Farms Ground Chicken, minced garlic, the remaining salt, and black pepper.
Sautee the ground chicken, while breaking up the larger chunks with the back of a wooden spoon until chicken is no longer pink; about 5 minutes. Remove pot from heat. With a slotted spoon, remove chicken and vegetables from pot. Set aside.
- With the residual juices in the pot, place pot back onto the heat. Add in the remaining olive oil. When oil is hot, whisk in the flour until well combined. Slowly pour in the chicken broth and heavy cream, stirring constantly. Add in the Worcestershire sauce, apple cider vinegar, soy sauce, onion powder, oregano, nutmeg, and cayenne pepper. Stir until sauce is thoroughly mixed.
- Add in the reserved chicken and vegetables, and the frozen peas. Stir and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer and spread the chicken mixture into a 5-quart casserole dish.
- Evenly spread the pumpkin and potato mash over the chicken. Create swirls in the mash with the back of a spoon. Lightly drizzle top with some olive oil to encourage browning.
- Place into the preheated oven and bake until bubbling; about 30 minutes. If desired, broil for a few minutes under the broiler for a darker crust.