Chicken and Rice Stuffed Peppers
For a dinner as delicious as it is fun, pick your favourite pepper and stuff it full of tender chicken and bold Tex-Mex flavours.
Yield: 4 peppers
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
- 4 large bell peppers
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and chopped
- 1 tbsp (8 g) Tex-Mex seasoning
- 1 cup (200 g) seeded and chopped tomatoes
- 1 ½ cups (210 g) cooked long grain white rice
- 1 portion of shredded chicken
- ¼ cup (125 ml) chicken broth
- 1 cup (95 g) shredded Tex-Mex cheese, divide
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C) and grease a 9 x 9 inch (22cm x 22cm) baking dish.
- Cut off the tops of each pepper, discard the stem, and finely chop the tops. Set aside for later use. Remove seeds and membrane from peppers. Place standing up in prepared baking dish.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and reserved chopped peppers; cook for 3-4 minutes or until softened. Stir in jalapeño and Tex-Mex seasoning, continue to cook for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes to pan and cook for 3-4 minutes or until they release their juices and start to break down. Stir in cooked rice, chicken, and chicken broth; cook until heated through. Fold in ¾ cup (70 g) of the shredded Tex-Mex cheese.
- Divide mixture between prepared peppers. Sprinkle each stuffed pepper with the remaining cheese. Place in oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes.