Cheesy Chicken Mac and Cheese
Mac and cheese has been a go-to family favourite for years. It’s fast, simple, and loved by every age group. Our version is extra cheesy, plus it has the protein and texture bonus of tender chicken pieces. We even pumped up the flavour with a bit of garlic and mustard, and you can add some heat for the ultimate mac and cheese experience!
Yield: 6 serving
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
- Try switching out the cheddar cheese for your favourite cheese.
- 1 lb (454 g) dry elbow pasta
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) vegetable oil
- 2 lb (900 g) Sargent Farms Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts, chopped
- 1 tsp (6 g) salt
- 1 onion, finely minced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ tsp (3 g) chili flakes (optional)
- 3 tbsp (38 g) butter, divided
- ¼ cup (50 g) flour
- 2 ½ cup (625 ml) 3.25% milk
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) mustard
- 2 1/2 cups (280 g) cheddar cheese, shredded
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook for 10-12 minutes or until chicken is cooked to an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C); transfer to a plate.
- Stir in 1 tbsp (14 g) butter and onion; cook for 2-3 minutes. Stir in garlic and chili flakes; cook for an additional minute. Add remaining butter and flour; cook stirring for 2-3 minutes. Whisk in milk and mustard, cook whisking until mixture has thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon; about 7-8 minutes.
- Stir in cheese, cook stirring until cheese has melted. Stir in cooked chicken and pasta. Reduce heat to low and cook for 5 minutes, or until heated through.