Indulge in the delectable aroma and flavour of this irresistible roasted Sargent Farms chicken with root veggies, a dish that is sure to please any crowd. The tender and juicy chicken is perfectly complemented by a unique blend of balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, and herbs, while the caramelized vegetables add both depth of flavour and nutritional value. The best part? This family-friendly meal requires just one pan, making cleanup a breeze. Treat your taste buds to the delightful taste of this dish, which is sure to become a go-to favorite.
Yield: 4-6 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hr 40 minutes
- Check the chicken’s cavity and remove the packet of giblets, if included save it for another use. Tuck the wing tips under the body and loosely tie the legs together with kitchen twine.
- Add extra flavour to the roasted chicken by rubbing the cavity with whole garlic cloves and sprigs of fresh rosemary or fresh thyme.
- For a crisp finish, rub kosher salt into the skin of the raw chicken and leave it overnight in the fridge. Bring the chicken to room temperature before roasting.
- Use good quality balsamic vinegar, as it will add a richer flavour to the dish. If time permits, marinate the chicken in the balsamic glaze for at least 30 minutes to enhance the flavour.
- Use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of the chicken to ensure that it is cooked through.
- Letting the chicken rest before carving allows the juices to redistribute and makes it juicier.
1 whole Sargent Farms chicken, about 4lbs (available in store only)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons maple syrup
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 tsp dried sage
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
4 cups root vegetables (such as carrots, parsnips, and potatoes), peeled and chopped into bite-sized pieces
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, Dijon mustard, minced garlic, thyme, sage, rosemary, salt, and black pepper in a small bowl.
- Pat the chicken dry with paper towels, then place it in a large roasting pan. Pour the balsamic mixture evenly over the chicken.
- Arrange the chopped root vegetables around the chicken in the roasting pan, tossing them in any remaining balsamic mixture to coat.
- Roast the chicken and vegetables for 60 to 75 minutes, or until the chicken is golden brown and cooked through (with an internal temperature of 165°F/74°C), and the vegetables are tender.
- Remove the roasting pan from the oven, tent it with aluminum foil, and let the chicken rest for 10 to 15 minutes before carving.
- Serve the chicken with the vegetables on the side, garnished with fresh herbs if desired.