African Peanut and Sweet Potato Stew
There’s nothing quite as hearty and satisfying as a bowl of stew, especially when the weather is cool. Everyone will enjoy the authentic African taste of peanuts and savoury spices in every spoonful. Plus, on top of being delicious, it’s also full of great stuff like tomatoes, sweet potatoes, and chickpeas. Tonight, don’t just feed your family – nourish them.
Yield: 4-6 servings
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
- The sweet potato in this recipe can easily be switched for 3 cups of peeled butternut squash cut into 1-inch cubes.
- Chickpeas can be replaced with black beans.
- Download and print a shopping list for this recipe here
- 2 lb (900 g) Sargent Farms Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs, cubed
- 1 tsp (6 g) salt
- ¾ tsp (5 g) freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) canola oil, divided
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 inch (2.5 cm) piece ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 tbsp (15 g) minced garlic
- 2 tsp (12 g) ground cumin
- 1 tsp (6 g) ground chili powder
- 1 tsp (6 g) ground cardamom
- ¼ tsp (1 g) ground clove
- ¼ tsp (1 g) cayenne pepper
- 1 (28 oz / 796 ml) canned chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups (500 ml) vegetable broth
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 (19 oz / 540 ml) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup (125 ml) natural peanut butter
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) lime juice
- 1 tsp (2 g) lime zest
- ¼ cup (10 g) chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup (30 g) chopped and toasted peanuts
- Place chicken in a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tbsp (15 ml) oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add chicken to pot and cook until golden, adding more oil if needed. Transfer to a plate when done.
- Add remaining oil to pot, stir in onion and cook until softened; about 5 minutes. Add ginger and garlic to pot, cook for 1 minute. Stir in cumin, chili powder, cardamom, clove, and cayenne pepper. Cook stirring for one minute.
- Add chopped tomatoes, broth, sweet potatoes and brown chicken to pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20-25 minutes, or until sweet potato is tender and chicken is cooked to an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C).
- Stir in chickpeas, peanut butter, lime juice, and lime zest, and simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Divide among bowls and garnish with cilantro and toasted peanuts.