Fresh Chicken Spring Rolls
For a light dinner after a hot day, or for a revitalizing snack, this is a can’t-miss recipe. You can actually see the delicious chicken and vegetables waiting inside every bite! Enjoy the satisfying crunch of cut vegetables, including the tangy pickled onions. The tender, marinated chicken is bursting with fresh taste, and the zingy peanut dipping sauce is the perfect finishing touch. It’s a family-size recipe, so there’s enough for everyone!
Yield: 14 rolls
Prep Time: 1 hour + 4 hours marinating time
Cook Time: 35 minutes
- The chicken can be baked the day before and the onions and dipping sauce can be made ahead of time. If making the rolls the day before, cover them well with a damp cloth and keep in the fridge in an air-tight container. If the rolls get too dry, lightly mist them with water.
For the Marinade:
- ¼ cup (60 ml) tamari
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) garlic chili sauce (Sambal)
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) fish sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) lime juice
- 1 stalk (55 g) lemongrass, finely chopped
- 6 (500 g) Sargent Farms Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs
For the Pickled Onions:
- 1 (330 g) medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 Thai red chili, thinly sliced
- ¾ cup (185 ml) cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp (13 g) sugar
- ¼ tsp (2 g) salt
For the Dipping Sauce:
- ½ cup (110 g) peanut butter, unsalted, unsweetened
- ¼ cup (60 ml) warm water
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) Sriracha
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) hoisin
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp (28 g) brown sugar
- 2 tsp (10 ml) fish sauce
- 2 tsp / 2 garlic cloves, minced
For the Filling:
- 14 medium rice roll wrappers
- ¼ bunch fresh mint, washed and picked
- ¼ bunch fresh coriander, washed
- 4 cups (210 g) chopped romaine lettuce, washed
- 1 (280 g) small red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 (150 g) large carrot, julienned
- ½ (200 g) large English cucumber, deseeded, julienned
For the chicken:
- In a small bowl combine all the ingredients for the marinade, except the chicken, and stir until completely combined. Transfer the marinade to a sealable bag and add the Sargent Farms Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs and fully coat the thighs. Place the bag in the fridge and marinate the chicken at least 30 minutes, or up to 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Shake off the marinade and place the chicken on a baking tray and bake for 25 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F (74°C). Allow the chicken to rest until cool enough to handle. Using clean hands, tear the chicken into strips. Assemble the wraps right away, or keep the chicken in the fridge for up to 3 days.
For the onions:
- Place the onions in a medium bowl and pour boiling water over top and let sit for 1 minute. In a small pot over medium heat, combine the Thai red chili, vinegar, sugar, and salt and stir until the sugar and salt are dissolved. Drain the water from the onions and add the vinegar solution. Give the mixture a stir to ensure the onions are properly covered. Marinate for 30 minutes. Keep covered in the fridge for up to 1 week.
For the sauce:
- In a small pot, combine peanut butter, water, Sriracha, hoisin, lime juice, sugar, and fish sauce. Warm over medium heat stirring constantly until mixture is smooth and sugar has dissolved; do not boil. Adjust the ingredient amounts to suit taste. Store in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- Fill a large bowl with warm water halfway. Place a rice wrap in the bowl of water to completely wet it.
- Lay the wrap flat on a clean surface and pile a few pieces of chicken on the lower half leaving a space around the edges. Place a small amount of each ingredient on top of the chicken being careful not to overfill.
- Bring the lower edge of the wrap over the filling, then fold in the sides and roll the entire bundle up away from you, keeping it as taut as possible. Repeat with remaining wraps and serve immediately with the dipping sauce.