Chunky Chicken Salad Sandwiches
Whether you’re coming in for a break, or you’re taking lunch on the road, there’s nothing quite like a delicious sandwich. Your eyes will see the incredible flavours waiting inside before it even hits your mouth, and then every bite will unleash a mix of tastes: cool, tangy, and spicy. Plus, you can customize portions to suit different appetites with ease. It’s the perfect family lunch solution!
YIELD: 4 servings
PREP TIME: 15 minutes
COOK TIME: 15 to 20 minutes
- Use pita pockets, bagels, or croissants in place of the whole wheat bread, if desired.
- Replace grapes with apples or dried fruit such as raisins or dried cranberries.
- Replace pecans with toasted walnuts, cashews, almonds, or nut of choice.
- If mini cucumbers are unavailable, an English cucumber can be used instead.
- For a spicier filling, keep the seeds in the jalapeño.
For the chicken:
- 1 tsp (6 g) salt
- 1 tsp (3 g) onion powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 g) chili flakes
- 2 pcs (500 g) Sargent Farms Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
- 2½ cups (625 ml) water
For the sandwiches:
- 1 cup (250 ml) mayonnaise or Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) lemon juice
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) honey
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp (12 g) jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp (2 g) paprika
- 1 tsp (1 g) dried dill
- ½ tsp (3 g) salt
- ½ tsp (1 g) black pepper, preferably freshly ground
- ¼ tsp (1 g) ground cumin
- 1 cup (180 g) seedless green or red grapes, halved lengthwise
- ⅔ cup (102 g) mini cucumber, diced
- ½ cup (53 g) pecans, lightly toasted, roughly chopped
- ⅓ cup (46 g) red onion, finely diced
- 8 slices multigrain or whole wheat bread, lightly toasted if desired
Lettuce (Romaine, Boston, or Bibb lettuce) or greens (spinach, arugula, or mixed greens)
- In a small bowl, mix the salt, onion powder, and chili flakes together. Pat dry the Sargent Farms Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts and evenly season both sides with the salt mixture.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a medium-size pot. When oil is hot, place chicken breasts into the oil. Cook until downward-facing side of the breast is golden brown in colour; about 5 minutes. Flip chicken breasts over.
- Cover with water, adding more as needed until chicken breasts are immersed. Cover pot. Reduce heat and simmer until the internal temperature of the chicken is 165°F (74°C).
- Remove chicken breasts from the water and place onto a cutting board. Allow to cool until easy to handle. Slice chicken breasts into small cubes. Place cubed chicken into a large bowl.
- In a bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise (or Greek yogurt, if using), lemon juice, honey, Dijon mustard, minced jalapeño, minced garlic, paprika, dried dill, salt, ground black pepper, and cumin until thoroughly combined.
- Add the grapes, cucumbers, pecans, and red onions to the cubed chicken; toss to evenly distribute ingredients.
- Drizzle the dressing over the chicken. Gently mix together until ingredients are coated.
- If using, place lettuce, or greens of choice onto 4 slices of multigrain or whole wheat bread. Divide the chicken salad onto the 4 slices of bread. Top sandwiches with the remaining slices of bread.