Chicken Salad with Roasted Fall Veggies & Quinoa
We call it a salad, but this is definitely a meal! Let the rich seasonings and tender vegetables treat your tongue to a symphony of flavour in this family-sized dish. Plus, it’s packed with protein, making it a great lunch to keep you going through the day.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes + 4 hrs to overnight
Cook Time: 35 minutes
- While the vegetables and chicken are roasting, start cooking the quinoa.
- The quinoa can be cooked in advance. Cooked quinoa can be used within 3 to 5 days if stored in an airtight container in the fridge. Completely cooled quinoa can be stored in freezer-safe bags for up to 2 months. For quick defrosting, ensure quinoa is stored in a flat layer versus a large clump.
- Alternatively, this salad can be made into bowls. Divide quinoa into 6 or 8 bowls, top with the roasted vegetables, and sliced chicken.
- ¼ cup (60 ml) olive oil
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) sesame oil
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) soy
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) honey
- 1 tbsp (5 g) fresh rosemary, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp (5 g) fresh thyme leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 tsp (12 g) fine sea salt
- 1 tsp (3 g) garlic powder
- 1 tsp (3 g) red pepper flakes, crushed
- 1 tsp (2 g) smoked paprika
- ½ tsp (2 g) black pepper
- ½ tsp (1 g) onion powder
- 1 (1 lb / 454 g) head cauliflower, washed and cut into bite-sized florets
- 3 cups (317 g) baby carrots, halved
- 3 cups (283 g) Brussels sprouts, quartered
2 cups (324 g) mixed baby potatoes, quartered
- 1 large red onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 Sargent Farms Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
For the Quinoa:
- 2½ cups (625 ml) cold water
- 1 tsp (6 g) salt
- 2 cups (340 g) rinsed quinoa (tricoloured/white/red)
- Garnish (optional):
- extra virgin olive oil
- green onions
- Line a large baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl whisk together olive oil, sesame oil, soy, apple cider vinegar, honey, rosemary, thyme, salt, garlic powder, crushed red pepper flakes, smoked paprika, black pepper, and onion powder until well combined. Remove ⅔ of the marinade and place into a large freezer safe bag.
- Add the Sargent Farms Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts to the bag. Close bag and massage chicken with the marinade, covering all sides. Place bag into a rimmed baking dish or container and place into the fridge; marinate for at least 1 hour or up to 6 hours.
- In the large bowl, toss in the cauliflower florets, baby carrots, Brussels sprouts, baby potatoes, and red onion pieces, until coated with the remaining marinade. Cover until ready to roast.
- Preheat oven to 450°F (232°C).
- Transfer and evenly spread vegetables onto the prepared baking sheet. Place into the preheated oven and roast for 15 minutes, stirring halfway through. After 15 minutes, place the marinated chicken breasts onto the vegetables. Bake for an additional 18 to 20 minutes or until the internal temperature of the thickest part of the chicken breasts reaches 165°F (74°C), and juices run clear when pierced. Remove chicken to a clean cutting board and tent with foil; rest for 10 minutes before cutting.
For the quinoa:
- While the vegetables and chicken are roasting, bring the water and salt to a boil in a medium-sized pot. Add in the quinoa and stir to prevent sticking. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until water is fully absorbed. Remove from heat, uncover, and fluff quinoa with a fork.
- In a large bowl combine quinoa, roasted vegetables, and any juices that may be left on the roasting pan. Gently toss together.
- With a sharp chef’s knife, cut chicken into slices and arrange chicken on top of the salad. If desired, drizzle with a bit of olive oil, and sprinkle with cilantro or green onions.