Chicken Pot Pie with Biscuit Topping
Chicken Pot Pie is one of the all-time great comfort foods. On a cool day, it’s warm and nourishing, and hits the spot like nothing else can. Our recipe adds a twist by replacing the pie crust with a biscuit topping. The buttery goodness of the biscuits soaks up the incredible filling, making a satisfying dinner they’ll ask for again and again.
- Yield: 12 servings
- Prep Time: 50 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- If desired, just breast or thigh meat may be used.
- Use any fresh herbs you have on hand instead of the dill and parsley for the biscuits.
- Filling may be made in advance and refrigerated for up to three days. Add 10 minutes to the covered cooking time.
For the filling:
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
- 1 lb (454g) Sargent Farms boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 lb (454 g) Sargent Farms boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 3 cups (200 g) sliced white mushrooms
- 2 cups (270 g) diced celery
- 1 1/2 cups (220 g) diced white or yellow onion
- 1 1/2 cups (210 g) diced red pepper
- 1 cup (175 g) frozen or canned corn kernels
- 2 tsp (2 cloves) minced garlic
- 6 tbsp (85 g) butter
- 1/3 cup (42 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (3 g) red chili flakes
- 1 tsp (2 g) mustard powder
- 3 cups (720 ml) low sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) heavy cream
- 1 1/2 tsp (9 g) salt
- 1 tsp (4 g) ground black pepper
For the biscuits:
- 2 3/4 cups (344 g) all-purpose flour
- 4 tsp (20 g) baking powder
- 1 tsp (3 g) paprika
- 1 tsp (6 g) salt
- 1/4 cup (16 g) chopped fresh dill
- 1/4 cup (16 g) chopped fresh parsley
- 2/3 cup (152 g) unsalted butter, cut into ½-inch (1 cm) cubes and chilled
- 1 cup (240 ml) milk
For the filling:
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add the chicken and cook, turning occasionally until browned; about 7 minutes. Transfer to a 3 to 4 litre casserole dish and set aside.
- Place unwashed skillet back over medium heat and melt 2 tablespoons (28 grams) of butter.
- Add the mushrooms, onions, celery, and red pepper and cook, stirring frequently, for 12 minutes. Stir in the corn and garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Transfer the vegetables to the dish with the chicken.
Return the skillet to medium heat and melt remaining 6 tbsp (8 grams) butter. Whisk in the flour, chili flakes and mustard powder.
- Cook, whisking continuously, for 4 minutes. Pour in the stock and whisk well, scraping any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce to medium-low heat and simmer until mixture begins to thicken; about 6 minutes.
- Whisk in cream and simmer 1 minute. Stir in salt and pepper.
- Pour the sauce over the reserved chicken and vegetables and stir to combine. Set aside while preparing the biscuits.
For the biscuits:
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- In a large bowl whisk the flour, baking powder, paprika and salt until well combined. Add the butter and using a pastry blender or two butter knives, cut in butter until it resembles coarse crumbs with a few pea-sized pieces.
- Whisk in the dill and parsley.
- Stir in the milk, mixing until just combined.
- Using about 2 heaping tablespoons of dough per biscuit, spoon 12 biscuits over the filling.
- Bake in oven for 40 minutes, then cover with aluminum foil and bake 15 minutes. Biscuits should be golden brown and the filling bubbling.
- Remove and allow to rest 10 minutes before serving.