Chicken Phyllo Triangles with Walnuts, Dates and Feta Cheese
These stuffed triangles bring together the sweetness of dates and the earthy crunch of walnuts in one pocket of flaky deliciousness. Our Chicken Phyllo Triangles are a welcome addition to any Iftar spread!
- Yield: about 44 triangles
- Prep Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 16 minutes
- To freeze, place unbaked Chicken Phyllo Triangles on a baking sheet. Freeze until solid, then transfer to a plastic freezer bag for up to one month. Bake from frozen as directed in the recipe.
- 750 g / 4 Sargent Farms Boneless Thighs
- 2 g / ¼ tsp salt
- 1 g / ¼ tsp ground pepper
- 90 g / ¾ cup chopped walnuts
- 30 ml + 120 ml / 2 tbsp + ½ cup olive oil
- 75 g / ½ cup finely diced onion
- 120 g / ¾ cup chopped dates
- 12 g / 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 240 ml / 1 cup water
- 30 ml / 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 105 g / ¾ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 6 g / ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 1 g / 1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano (1 tsp dried oregano may be substituted)
- 1 g / ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 454 g / 1 package frozen phyllo pastry (about 22 sheets), thawed
- Fresh parsley leaves
- Pat the chicken thighs dry with paper towels; sprinkle both sides with the salt and pepper.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the walnuts and toast, stirring occasionally, until golden and fragrant, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a bowl to cool.
- Heat 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of olive oil in the skillet. Add the chicken thighs to the skillet and sear until golden brown, about 5 minutes each side. Transfer to a plate.
- Add 1 tablespoon (30 ml) of oil in the skillet. Add the onions and cook until softened, 5 minutes.
- Add the dates and garlic; cook 2 minutes.
- Add the water and lemon juice and stir to scrape up any browned bits off the bottom of the skillet.
- Add the chicken back to the pan (including any juices), reduce heat to medium-low and cover (use tin foil if skillet does not have a lid).
- Simmer, covered for 10 minutes. Remove lid and simmer, uncovered, roughly 5 minutes.
- Allow chicken mixture to cool for 15 minutes. Chop finely and transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the feta cheese, parsley, oregano, cinnamon and toasted walnuts to the chicken mixture and stir well to combine.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Have ready 2 large baking sheets and a clean pastry brush. Place remaining ½ cup (120 ml) of olive oil in a small bowl.
- Unroll the thawed phyllo sheets and cover with a clean, lightly dampened tea towel.
- Remove one sheet of phyllo and place on a clean surface with the short end closest to you (re-cover the other phyllo sheets with the tea towel).
- Brush phyllo with olive oil and, if garnishing, place 4 parsley leaves evenly about 1 inch down from the top edge of the pastry. Top with a second sheet of pastry and brush with oil.
- Using a sharp knife or pizza cutter, cut lengthwise into 4 even strips. Place 1 tablespoon (15 grams) of the chicken filling near the bottom edge of each strip. Fold the bottom corner of one strip to the opposite side, forming a triangle to encase the filling. Continue folding over into a triangle for the entire strip of phyllo (the final fold will show the parsley leaf, if using).
- Place on a baking sheet.
- Repeat making triangles with remaining phyllo and filling.
- Bake in the oven until golden brown, 14 – 16 minutes. Allow 5 minutes to cool before serving.