Chicken Gumbo-Style Stew and Biscuits
Chicken soup might be good for the soul, but our gumbo is going to steal your heart! Incredibly rich and satisfying, every spoonful overflows with tender morsels of chicken and vegetables. And wait until you taste those spices! We used all the traditional seasonings with an emphasis on delicious heat. Add our homestyle biscuits for dipping to complete the Southern experience.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- If you don’t own a Dutch oven, you can use a large, heavy-bottomed pot with a lid.
- This stew can also be served with rice.
- Sargent Farms Leg Quarters, Drumsticks, or Boneless Chicken Thighs can be used in this recipe.
- Ensure the roux develops a deep brown colour before proceeding with the next steps.
- If in season, use fresh corn instead. Add 3 ears of corn, cut into 3-inch rounds when adding the shredded chicken back in.
- For the biscuits, use biscuit recipe from “Chicken Pot Pie with Biscuit Topping”
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) water
- 2 tsp (6 g) salt, divided
- 1 tsp (2 g) black pepper, freshly ground
- 2½ – 3 lbs (1135 g – 1362 g) Sargent Farms Bone-In Thighs
- ¼ cup (60 ml) vegetable oil, divided
- ¼ cup (57 g) butter
- ¾ cup (94 g) flour
- 2 cups (278 g) onion, diced
- 2 cups (278 g) celery, diced
- 2 cups (256 g) green bell pepper, diced
- 4 tsp (4 pcs) garlic cloves, minced
- 4 bay leaves
- 2½ tsp (5 g) smoked paprika
- 2 tsp (4 g) sweet paprika
- 1½ tsp (3 g) cayenne pepper
- 1½ tsp (9 g) garlic powder
- 1½ tsp (4 g) onion powder
- 1 tsp (1 g) dried thyme
- 1 tsp (1 g) dried oregano
- 1 tsp (1 g) dried basil
- 6 cups (1500 ml) vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp (14 g) brown sugar, packed
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) coconut oil
- 2 cups (228 g) frozen okra
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) lime or lemon juice
- 2 cups (240 g) frozen corn kernels
- 2 cups (255 g) red bell pepper, large diced
- Garnish (optional): chopped chives or green onions
For the biscuits:
- Follow biscuit directions from “Chicken Pot Pie with Biscuit Topping” (steps 1 to 4).
- After combining the milk, transfer contents onto a lightly floured work surface. Pat mixture together and roll (or pat) the dough to about ½- to ¾-inch thickness. With a floured 3-inch cutter, cut out rounds. Scraps can be pressed together and cut again. Place biscuits onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Whisk together the egg and water and lightly brush the tops with the egg wash. Place the biscuits into the preheated oven. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until tops are golden in colour.
- For the chicken gumbo:
- In a small bowl, mix 1 teaspoon (6 g) salt and pepper together. Evenly season both sides of the Sargent Farms Chicken Thighs with the salt and pepper mixture.
- In a large Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons (30 ml) of the vegetable oil over medium heat. When hot, add the Sargent Farms Bone-In Thighs, skin-side down. Cook each side for 5 minutes or until pieces are browned. Remove chicken pieces.
- Add the remaining oil and the butter to the Dutch oven. When butter has melted and the oil is hot, reduce temperature to medium-low. Whisk in the flour. Continue to whisk and cook the roux until the flour is a deep golden brown colour; about 10 minutes.
- Add in the diced onions, celery, and green bell peppers. Cook until onions are soft and translucent; 5 minutes. Stir in the minced garlic, bay leaves, smoked paprika, sweet paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic, onion, thyme, oregano, and basil until fragrant; about 2 minutes.
- Slowly add in the vegetable broth, while continuously stirring to ensure the roux is incorporated into the broth. Bring mixture to a boil. Carefully add in the browned chicken thighs and the brown sugar. Cover, reduce heat and simmer; 30 minutes. Remove chicken and place into a large dish; let cool until easy to handle. With two forks or hands, shred chicken. Discard bones.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt the coconut oil. When oil is hot, add in the frozen okra. Stir to coat okra with the oil. Add in the lime juice. Saute okra for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Add in the frozen corn, red bell peppers, and remaining teaspoon of salt. Saute for another 5 minutes, or until okra is lightly browned and vegetables are tender.
- Return chicken to the pot and add in the sauteed vegetables. Simmer for an additional 10 minutes or until chicken is heated through. Serve with biscuits and garnish with chives or green onions.