Chicken Noodle Salad with Spicy Peanut Sauce
Too often, salad is a sad and uninteresting side we eat because we feel like we have to have “something healthy.” Raise the bar with this recipe for Chicken Noodle Salad that demands attention from your tastebuds! The tantalizing tastes of ginger, chili, and cilantro blend beautifully with the surprising addition of lime, honey and peanut butter. Julienned vegetables add colour and crisp freshness to a salad you might want as a meal!
- Yield: 8 to 10 servings
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 to 30 minutes
- The spicy peanut sauce can be made several days in advance, placed into a jar or airtight container and into the fridge. Bring to room temperature before tossing into noodles.
- Soba, rice, or any thin noodle can be used in place of the spaghetti.
- If unsure of how spicy you want the peanut sauce to be, adjust the spice level by whisking in the chili garlic sauce a tablespoon at a time at the end of making the sauce. Taste after each addition.
For the chicken:
- 3 pcs (609 g) Sargent Farms chicken thighs (boneless, skinless)
- 2 tbsp (60 ml) olive oil
- 2 tsp (5 g) black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 tsp (6 g) salt
For the salad:
- 1 package (16 oz) spaghetti, made according to package directions
- 3 cups (330 g) julienned cucumber
- 3 cups (250 g) julienned carrots
- 2 cups (230 g) julienned red bell pepper
- 1 cup (35 g) fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
For the spicy peanut sauce:
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) peanut butter, preferably creamy
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) olive oil
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) lime juice or apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) honey or pure maple syrup
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) sesame oil
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) chili garlic sauce (or sriracha)
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) soy or tamari sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) fish sauce
- 4 tsp (20 g) grated ginger
- 2 tsp (2 cloves) minced garlic
- 1 tsp (4 g) red chili flakes, crushed
- 1/2 tsp (3 g) salt
- toasted peanuts, coarsely chopped
Preheat oven to 425ºF (ºC).
Place the Sargent Farms boneless, skinless chicken thighs into a 9 x 9 inch baking dish. Drizzle and toss chicken thighs with the olive oil. Sprinkle with the pepper and salt. Place baking dish into the preheated oven on the middle oven rack. Bake for 25 minutes or until juices run clear when chicken is pierced.
Remove from the oven and tent with aluminum foil at least 10 minutes before slicing.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook spaghetti to al dente, according to package instructions. Rinse pasta under cold water to stop the cooking process and to cool pasta down. Transfer to a large bowl or dish.
While the pasta is cooking, make the spicy peanut sauce.
In a medium bowl, stir or whisk together the peanut butter, olive oil, lime juice or apple cider vinegar (or a combination of both), honey or pure maple syrup, sesame oil, chili garlic sauce, soy or tamari sauce, fish sauce, grated ginger, minced garlic, chili flakes, and salt. Combine until well blended. Thin sauce with some pasta water, if needed.
Toss noodles with the shredded Sargent Farms chicken thighs.
Pour dressing over the noodles. Toss to coat.
Add in the julienned cucumbers, carrots, and red bell peppers.
Sprinkle noodles with the chopped cilantro. Toss to coat.
Arrange on a platter. Sprinkle with toasted peanuts, if using.
Serve cold or at room temperature.